Homelessness Myth #4: There's Room In The Inn
On December 8th, the San Diego Union Tribune reported that on the previous day, the County of San Diego, California experienced one of "the most powerful winter storms in several years...bringing damaging winds, record-setting rainfall and several inches of snow to the mountains."
My homeless friend Maurice supplied me with the following video of the situation of homeless people in downtown San Diego and the efforts of Alpha Project president, Bob McElroy, to help homeless people cope with the challenging weather. This video, as you will see, was filmed just outside the Emergency Winter Shelter, run by Alpha Project, which was filled to capacity.
Some background from the San Diego Regional Task Force on the Homeless 2009 Point In Time Count:
1. In the County of San Diego, there are a total of 7,892 homeless people of whom:
• 4,014 homeless people are living on the streets
• 965 homeless people are living in emergency shelters
• 2,913 homeless people are living in transitional housing
2. In the City of San Diego, there are a total of 4,338 homeless people of whom:
• 1,868 homeless people are living on the streets
• 656 homeless people are living in emergency shelters
• 1,814 homeless people are living in transitional housing
Type of Resource:
December 10, 2009