Our agency is an alternative non-profit housing provider. It is home to approximately 118 residential units whose tenant population is mostly low income and formerly homeless. The diversity of the tenant population includes single, seniors and families, and people with disabilities including mental and physical. Our portfolio includes 1 high-rise, a block of townhouses and scattered shared houses. The organizational mission of the agency is to provide permanent shelter to the homeless.
The General Manager serves as the leader of the organization and is primary public representative, reporting to the Board of Directors. The General Manager works in partnership with the Board of Directors, Paid Team Members, Tenants, and other Stakeholders to ensure that the Organization fulfills its mandate.
- Leads the strategic plan, working closely with the Board and successfully implements the corresponding annual operating plans, funding plans, and other supporting initiatives.
- Develops and monitors strategies for ensuring the long-term viability and growth of the organization.
- Collaborates with the Board to continually refine and articulate the organization’s vision and strategic direction.
- Creates and manages feedback processes to measure progress against strategic objectives and annual operating plan goals.
- Provides strong day-to-day values-based leadership.
- Recruits the necessary competencies to ensure operations are completed at the highest standard.
- Interacts directly with tenants, ensuring identified issues are acted upon in a timely and professional manner
- Oversees the organization’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that the organisation’s properties provide a safe living environment for tenants
- Provides information for the Board of Directors on service issues and acts as the primary avenue of communication between the Board, funders, key community stakeholders, community agencies and the general public.
- Works effectively with the Board of Directors and Board Committees in the development and execution of policies, procedures and short- and long-term goals and operational plans.
- Attends Board and Committee meetings and provides guidance and assistance in the development of meeting agendas, minutes and action plans.
- Assists in the nomination and orientation process for Board Members.
- Works with the Chairperson of the Board of Directors and receives supervision, guidance and support from the Chairperson.
- Provides and accepts constructive feedback about work related issues.
- Acts as an agent of the Board of Directors as designated.
Financial Management and Administration:
- Provides control, accountability and direction for all aspects of the organization’s finances.
- Ensures the preparation and submission of annual budgets for the organization.
- Presents financial statements to the Treasurer and Board of Directors on a regular basis.
- Oversees the capital investment and management of the portfolio Stakeholder Relationships:
- Acts as a spokesperson for the organization to the public and works within the community on behalf of the organization.
- Ensures that the organization and its mandate, programs and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Maintains appropriate relations with funders, local community groups / services, co-ordinating committees, and similar service providers.
- Post Secondary Degree / Diploma in Business Administration, Social Services, or Operational Management.
- 5-7 years experience in a non-profit senior management capacity, preferably in the transitional housing sector.
- Direct experience in board dynamics and demonstrated ability to manage operations in an environment where supervision is indirect
- Superior financial and administrative skills coupled with the education that supports experience in this vein
- Dynamic coaching and leadership abilities with demonstrated people management experience