In September 1997, the Department of Health and Family Services commissioned social research consultants, Keys Young, to undertake a study on homelessness in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander context and its possible implications for the Supported Accommodation Assistance Program (SAAP).
This report presents the findings of the study which was conducted over a six month period between October 1997 and March 1998.
- Executive Summary – PDF (207kb)
- Introduction – PDF (88kb)
- Background and Methodology – PDF (178kb)
- Background Issues – PDF (302kb)
- Understandings and Definitions of Indigenous Homelessness – PDF (481kb)
- Immediate Causes of Indigenous Homelessness Today – PDF (382kb)
- Service Roles and Responses to Homelessness – PDF (561kb)
- SAAP Policy, Planning and Service Delivery Issues – PDF (520kb)
- Summary of Main Findings and Conclusions – PDF (242kb)
- Bibliography – PDF (128kb)
- Appendices – PDF (907kb)