The aim of this project was to provide an initial evidence base and recommendations for development and implementation of policy and practice for including people experiencing homelessness as part of a community response to homelessness.
A scoping literature review was conducted focusing on homelessness and social exclusion/inclusion. Six themes emerged as central in understanding social exclusion and developing inclusionary policies:
- Social exclusion is associated with homelessness;
- Social exclusion impacts health;
- Social exclusion is rooted in unequal power relations;
- Addressing social exclusion is an important part of developing solutions to homelessness;
- Inclusionary theoretical perspectives and principles;
- Practicing social inclusion.
Themes one through four highlight the context and consequences of social exclusion while themes five and six provide insights into promising practices.